Start Date: January 2022
Eden Village West is hiring a full-time Operations Director! This is an awesome opportunity to join the leadership team of a growing camp with a big heart and a bright vision and to become an influential voice in steering the future of our organization.
About Eden Village West
Eden Village West is an organic farm-to-table Jewish sleepaway camp located on 350 acres along the Russian River in Sonoma County, California. We offer a 6-week overnight summer program for rising 3rd-11th graders as well as other farm programming throughout the spring and fall. Our campers have the time of their lives while exploring a vibrant food culture and deepening their appreciation for the natural systems that sustain us. The Eden Village West experience includes organic farming, culinary arts, outdoor adventure, wilderness skills, herbalism, DIY projects, art, music, and more. Campers emerge from these immersive experiences empowered to promote a more environmentally sustainable, socially just and spiritually connected world. Rooted in a culture of radical kindness, each camper develops leadership skills, explores new passions, and awakens their sense of purpose and joy. Eden Village West welcomed 87 campers in our inaugural summer in 2018 and grew to 230 campers in summer 2021.
At Eden Village West, our team works hard, plays hard, and also rests hard! We value our people for their full selves, in addition to what they bring to their work, and aspire to cultivate a team culture that allows for a wide range of self expression and values all that people are willing to contribute to building our community.
The Operations Director is the point person for a variety of core systems at camp, including camper registration, billing, and camper+staff forms; payroll & staff onboarding; managing our internal databases; and all aspects of summer operations including food service, transportation, housing, janitorial, and maintenance. The Operations Director reports to the Camp Director, works closely with all members of the full-time team during the year, and is a member of camp’s summer leadership team.
- HR / People Management / Operations
- Manage food service, housekeeping, office administration, and other operations at camp; Recruit and hire seasonal staff for these departments
- Manage summer staff forms
- Secure visas for international staff
- Benefits coordination, workers comp claims, and other related HR tasks
- Supervise year-round Registrar, to be hired in January/February 2022
- Financial Management
- Manage accounts payable/receivable, bookkeeping, employee credit cards, financial controls, payroll, and compliance
- Manage departmental budgets, run reports, conduct cost analysis, and partner with Camp Director to devise plans to secure the long-term financial health of the organization
- Support fundraising efforts including reporting and managing data for grants and individual giving
- Permitting, Safety & Risk-Management
- Manage legal forms, licensing/permits, and camp insurance
- Ensure all camp safety plans and emergency procedures are up-to-date and in compliance with best practices and all legal requirements
- Supervise and support Registrar with all things camper registration, including processing camper applications, enrolled family communications, camper forms, and billing
- Manage camp website and databases (Campminder & Coda)
- Manage Food Service
- Supervise Head Chef who in turn supervises a kitchen team of approximately 14 staff to ensure smooth food service operations feeding approximately 225 people daily
- Manage Summer Operations
- Coordinate summer housing logistics
- Coordinate all summer transportation for staff, campers, opening/closing days, and camp field trips
- Manage supply sourcing, vendor relationships, and departmental purchasing processes
- Supervise housekeeping staff to ensure standards of cleanliness are being maintained
- Supervise Registrar / Summer Office Manager
- Act as camp liaison for all maintenance needs, in partnership with staff at our host site
Eden Village West has a small year-round and summer staff. This position requires flexibility, a willingness to learn new skills and take on responsibilities outside the Operations Director’s immediate job description when needed.
You take ownership. You are accountable for personal and team results. You take initiative without being asked. You get your hands dirty when needed. You lead by example. Your work reflects self-awareness, groundedness, and humility. No task is beneath you.
You’re a proven leader. You can identify potential and develop talent. You are a cheerleader and coach. You know how to bring the best out of people. You care.
- You can handle complex stuff. Logistics is in your DNA. You know how to add structure and build processes. You can jump into a new technology platform and quickly figure it out. You have the ability to juggle multiple work streams with optimism, enthusiasm and a rigorous attention to detail. While planning is second nature to you, you are also able to think on your feet and pivot.
- You uplift others. You empower and support your co-workers. You are able to work as part of a team and also stay motivated while working independently. You are able to receive constructive feedback and make changes & tweaks based on what you’ve learned. You are enthusiastic, excited to try new things, generous, willing to be silly, flexible, creative, caring, and able to maintain a positive team attitude throughout a full work day.
- Experience with finance and operations management
- Experience leading a team
- Experience with CRM platforms, such as Campminder, strongly preferred
- Previous overnight camp or hospitality experience preferred, but not required
- We prefer candidates to be local to the Bay Area and, therefore, in close proximity to our team and site. That said, much of the work can be done remotely September – May and we are open to receiving applications from candidates residing beyond the Bay Area.
- This position must be in residence at Camp in Healdsburg, CA throughout our summer season (early June – early August)
Compensation & Benefits
- Annual salary range of $60,000 – $80,000 depending on experience and location
- Benefits package including generous paid time off, federal and Jewish holidays, health benefits bonus and health spending account, parental leave, yearly professional development funds, flexible schedule, and work-from-home option
- As an essential member of our growing team, you will have plentiful leadership opportunities and the support of colleagues invested in your growth and development
Hiring Process & Timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and we anticipate starting first-round interviews by mid-November
- We hope to have the selected candidate begin in January
How To Apply
Please send resume, two references, and a note to Casey at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Operations Director – YOUR NAME”. Tell us why Eden Village West of all places is so interesting to you, your experience, and share about your passions. We will also accept video cover letters, if that’s more your thing.
At Eden Village West, we know that diversity supports resilience. On our farm, in our gardens, and throughout the natural world, diversity is what allows every living thing to thrive. Eden Village West approaches all that we do, including hiring, with this mindset.
Eden Village West recognizes the internal and external biases that often prevent or delay candidates holding marginalized identities from applying for positions. We deeply value the insight, perspective & experience brought by people from diverse backgrounds, including Black, Indigenous, Latine and Asian people; LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people; people with disabilities; Black Jews, Jews of Color, Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews. We also welcome applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.
We encourage all who are interested in making the magic of Eden Village West come to life to apply.